Monday, November 17, 2014

Netflix from Steam to Stream






I have a vague recollection at being mad at Netflix. It was 2011 and they had the gall to change the way I had been watching movies for years! You see I was a loyal Netflix subscriber. I would exchange DVD's though the mail on a regular basis. I would select a movie watch it when it arrived and return it for my next selection. Imagine my shock when they increased their pricing and added streamlining at an additional fee. I was steaming about the price I would have to pay for streaming! I was not the only one. Netflix customers took to the Internet and social media and voiced their disdain loudly and often. So much so their stock went from 299.00 a share to 53.00 a share. It became a public relations nightmare. It was a company and customer crisis.  

When the company issued an apology I was unmoved. I boycotted Netflix for a year. I however grew uneasy not being able to watch movies from home in the way I had grown accustom to. I capitulated and signed up for the more expensive service. Perhaps I had been unfair. After all the company was changing with the times and they have an overhead and employees to pay. Maybe I should have thought about how much it cost to physically mail DVD’s back and forth. The one thing I had not considered was I have grown very attached to my smart phone and I can now watch anything from anywhere. I also no longer watch live television as I DVR most of my shows. I also now bingewatch shows. Currently I am hooked on "Once Upon A Time." I can't remember the last time I actually have watched a DVD!

I believe many have felt the same way. "Netflix increased at the fastest rate among the Top 100 measured brands over the last two years (2012 to 2014)  Netflix went from zero to hero in just a couple of years. They did it by being patient and winning back support by providing excellent programming. Perhaps in hindsight they now value that people have a voice and presence on social media that cannot be denied. 

No comments:

Post a Comment