Friday, September 12, 2014

Blog Your Head Off


In recent months we have been privy to graphic and horrific viral images of decapitations and murders via social media. I have also noticed an uptick in elevator brawls. As an actress in a comedy murder mystery production I recognize my hypocrisy in this blog, as we theatrically murder thousands annually.What is the fascination with watching someone get hurt or killed? Have we returned to the historical Roman days of The Coliseum where we sent Christians to their deaths by throwing them into starving lions for sport and pleasure? Thumbs up or thumbs down, the likes for these images and videos have increased with an intensity that is frightening. Where is this blood thirst coming from? Do we really want to live The Hunger Games? I am one of those people that do not want to see these images. When we stage theatrical deaths in our production they are usually silly. Although I know we broker in the macabre we make it as unreal as possible. I am grateful we live in a free country and I understand that with that freedom there will be things I read, hear and see that are not what I want to read, her or see. Can you at least have the decency to post a graphic image warning when uploading these videos? Go ahead and upload your videos and while you at it blog your head off, but please for the love of humanity do not post images or videos of murders and killings and fights unless you are CNN, MSNBC or Fox News, who by the way give us a warning prior to the gruesome stories and footage or images. I don’t want this on my Facebook, Instagram, Google +, Pinterest or in my Twitter feed.  I will unfollow you if you do it! I consider this a form of unethical passive aggressive cyber bullying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment