Monday, November 3, 2014

Geo Tag You Are It!



Am I the only one who feels that Geotagging can be dangerous? Don't get me wrong. I love checking into locations and tagging exact locations with beautiful pictures or moments of great delight. I understand it is a useful and helpful tool. Especially when I need assistance with GPS. There is comfort in knowing that a big satellite in the sky knows my whereabouts. However, it is something I like to do myself and to be in control of. I do not like when it is done for me. When the pop up appears and states would you like to make your location known? I often times deny access. If you want to take control right now you can. It is an easy fix really, just disable your Location Services in your settings under privacy. I have allowed a few apps to allow location access but most of them I have disallowed. The ones I do use, I have checked the appropriate box that states: allow when using app only.

Please do not tag a photo or post information without being with others. I have at times even tagged myself in a location after the event. There is one moment in my tagging history that still haunts me. It happened about 5 years ago. I was eating lunch with my husband and I checked in and liked the locations page. I even tagged the location and the food I was eating. Imagine my surprise when someone I knew showed up and said hi. I said "Fancy meeting you here? Their response "Oh I saw you were here on Facebook so I thought I would stop by."Yikes!" The word that came to mind is stalker. This made me take a good hard look at who had access to my every move. Do people really need to know our every whereabouts? This is not a real game of tag. Does anyone really need my latitude & longitude? Unless I go down in a plane or end up missing I think not. This can especially play into when you are traveling. Could say a savvy thief take the opportunity to rob you blind? Good thing I hire house sitters and I have three dogs.
With our information available to everyone at all times it is important that you understand Geotagging and control it  and manage it appropriately. By the way, I wrote this blog in my car at a remote undisclosed location.


No comments:

Post a Comment